Innes House Trust

Innes House Trust

The Doris Innes House Trust supports boarding at Dio by providing boarding scholarships to girls who will benefit from the opportunities available. Girls are selected for their excellence and achievement in academic endeavours, cultural activities, sport and/or leadership. We also consider their likely contribution to school and boarding with emphasis on all-round ability. Other boarding scholarships may be available at times due to the generosity of Old Girls and bequests.

Our History

Our History

When Diocesan School for Girls was founded in 1903 it was established as both a day and boarding school to serve the educational needs of girls in the Auckland Diocese.

For its first 80 years Diocesan School provided boarding accommodation for hundreds of girls. By the mid-1970s there were 150 boarders, which was about 20 per cent of the School’s roll. However, in 1984, the decision was made to close boarding at Diocesan.
A group of Old Girls was concerned about the decision as they felt it was essential to keep boarding so girls from throughout the Auckland Diocese would be able to have the opportunity t​o go to Diocesan.

A new beginning

In 1987 Margaret Tapper (Innes), Nina Crawford (Innes) and their mother, Doris Innes (Inglis), who were all Old Girls of the School, bought a villa at 20 Clyde Street, which sat on a double section that included 22 Clyde Street, where Innes House stands today. With the School’s goodwill and permission, a joint feasibility study into establishing an independent boarding facility was undertaken and the Doris Innes House Trust was formed – the first trustees being Doris Innes, Hilary Reid (Rodwell), Old Girl, and Bishop Bruce Gilberd. Several Old Girls were invited to form a group to establish a small, independent boarding house in the villa. These women became the first members of the Trust Management Board. They were Margaret Tapper (Innes), Nina Crawford (Innes), Noeleen Palmer (Rimmer), Bryan Bartley (Waddell), Pat Barfoot (Bull), Mary Ann Hetherington (Power) and Jane Williams (Mitchelson).

With the help of a number of other Old Girls, Innes House was ready for its first six boarders at the beginning of 1988.  From the outset they intended to expand and, thanks to the generosity of many contributors, a two-storey, 24-bed building, known as the East Wing, was opened in 1992

In 2000 boarding expanded further into the house owned by the School at 24 Clyde Street, Erin House, taking the total number of boarders to 36. Due to a continuing increase in demand for boarding, in 2012 the School further expanded its boarding facilities, adding the Senior Wing to provide a total of 57 boarding places.

For more than 20 years Innes House was run on a voluntary basis with advice and support from School representatives. In 2008 discussions began with the School Board about the future of boarding at Diocesan. As a result in January 2010 the School took over the management of boarding again, making it an integral part of the School’s operations.  In 2017 the School purchased the Innes House Trust properties.

Our people

TrusteesTrust Management Board
The Right Reverend Ross Bay
Bishop of the Diocese of Auckland
 Jo Hill (Chair)
Margaret TapperRosalind Glengarry
Nina CrawfordNina Crawford
Hilary ReidBarbara Stuart
Noeleen PalmerSue Hornblow
Pat BarfootSandra Laing
Bryan BartleySally Shuker

Contact Us: 

Please address correspondence to  PO Box 28076, Remuera, Auckland 1541.