Careers/University

Careers/University

Diocesan’s Career Development Centre provides guidance and career education to enable students to make informed decisions about their future pathways.  Our aim is to ensure every girl makes an effective transition to the world of further education, work and training.

Career support for Senior Students

Career support for Senior Students

60% of the jobs that our current students will end up doing don't even exist yet. Planning for the future is about the ‘next best step’ for our students and our aim is to make sure the first step they take away from Dio is the best possible one for them.
Our careers team offers support and guidance to all students and parents at every level with option choices and subject planning. Students in years 12 and 13 visit the Career Development Centre regularly and the careers advisors work closely with students and their parents to ensure that the girls are on the right track for what lies ahead.

Higher education

Higher education

Higher education is the primary destination for many Diocesan students with 95% transitioning directly to university after year 13, and the remaining 5% embarking on a gap year, most often with the intention to go to university at a later date.

Some of our services include

  • Facilitating students’ career decision-making through individual and group counselling
  • Providing career education programmes that give girls the knowledge and skills to self-manage their careers throughout their lives
  • Supporting staff and curriculum areas by providing special opportunities and specialist speakers to provide links between academic courses and real life situations
  • Supporting students to participate in a range of experience days in tertiary and other institutions
  • Assisting students in making the transition from school to tertiary training, work or other options including CV and interview skills, university preparation and applications
  • Coordinating references for accommodation, scholarships and university courses in NZ and overseas
  • Providing support and guidance to students planning gap years
  • Our careers advisors have visited top universities in the United Kingdom and the United States and are very experienced in how to access scholarships and enrolments to prestigious universities anywhere in the world. This has resulted in our girls securing enrolments and scholarships to Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, Hong Kong to name just a few